Maintain good posture during pregnancy and the benefits of Pilates
As your pregnancy evolves and your belly increases in size, it is difficult to know if you are maintaining good posture during pregnancy. The aim of this post is to give you ideas on how to achieve correct posture and the benefits of maintaining it for you and your baby during and beyond your pregnancy.
In order to achieve good posture keep these ideas in mind:
- Look forward
- Keep wide across collar bones and draw shoulder blades down you back
- Imagine you are being pulled upwards from your head by a piece of string
- Keep you pelvis in neutral
- Aim to keep shoulders directly over hips
- Avoid sitting with crossed legs
- Avoid standing on one hip or weight on one side
- Avoid carrying children constantly on the same side.
Some of the many benefits:
- Gives baby more room to grow and move
- Reduces lower back, shoulder, neck and pelvis pain
- Increases recovery post birth
- Reduces diastasis recti-abdominal separation